PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN A CURE

The tragedy of so many children undergoing the trauma of severe and debilitating burns from traditional open fire cooking methods in family homes in rural Kenya, is what fueled the development of the SALAMA STOVE, as a preventative solution.

SALAMA STOVE STORIES

emmas-story

PREVENTION & CURE | EMMA’S STORY

Sometimes our work at Salama Stoves works on both sides of the problem, prevention and cure! Emma’s story touches on all sides of what we do and has a happy ending, or is it a beginning?

DSCN2820

THE STOVE HAS CHANGED OUR LIVES

Sheila Chepkorir is four years old. She smiles a lot and likes to play with the animals in her compound – a small dog and several skinny kittens whom she shares her potatoes and beans with. She used to spend lot of time sitting indoors, on the floor, in the same small house where her […]

THE SALAMA STOVE HAS BEEN DESIGNED TO SAVE ENERGY, REDUCE INDOOR AIR POLLUTION, WARM WATER FOR HOUSEHOLD USE, AND MINIMIZE THE RISK OF BURNS AMONG CHILDREN AND USERS.

  • new-salama-stoves

    NAMING NAMES GRATEFULLY

    There are real people behind what we do – people who generously gave so that we can change the level of risk in rural Kenyan homes. Here we are naming names, the people who made our work and progress possible.

  • ss-scouts-girls

    KENYA SCOUTS | FIRE SAFETY BURN AWARENESS TRAINING

    Salama Stoves actively looks for opportunities to deliver burn awareness training, and this time teamed up with Kenya Power to do a Fire Safety Burn Awareness Training with the Kenya Scouts in Machakos for Founder’s Day on February 18th.

  • Chris Beaty

    CHRIS BEATY HELPS SALAMA STOVES

    Chris Beaty from Metropolitan Community College, a Welding Instructor from Omaha Nebraska has been working with Salama Stove. He has helped us find a new stove manufacturer and has given us valuable input on best practices on how to assemble the stove in the field.

DSC_3797

WHAT KENYANS ARE SAYING ABOUT THEIR SALAMA STOVE

“The stove has changed our lives. We are healthier and we also save money on fuel. I wish we had always had one.”

LOISE MOTHER of Sheila who was severely burned after accidentally pouring hot tea over her leg NAKURU

“I feel much safer having this stove in the house, as I know the children cannot get burned on it”

TERESA MOTHER of KIBWOTT & CHEBET - both children suffered severe injuries, one losing 5 fingers from accidents with the cooking fire NAKURU

"It’s a good stove and will help prevent future burns on my children."

ROSE MOTHER of DOMINIC - who was scalded by water being boiled for Ugali on a 3-stone fire. NAKURU

"It is off the ground and very safe for my child."

ANNE MOTHER of ZIPPORAH - who tripped and fell into water being boiled on an open fire. NAKURU

WHAT WE HAVE ACHIEVED

STOVES DONATED

60

FAMILIES HELPED

STOVES SOLD

46

FAMILIES HELPED

CONNECTED JOBS

50+